Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Definition of a Long Distance Auntie

I’m an auntie because my sister has two beautiful daughters who are now 11 and 8 years old. I’m a long-distance auntie because they live 400 miles away.


I don’t yet have children of my own so when I held my eldest niece for the first time and felt the weight of her fragile body in my arms, I was thrilled to be an aunt. I was only 14 when she was born and I was so proud I hung pictures of her in my school locker. I felt the same way when her sister came two years later.
I still remember the days of Blue’s Clues and Elmo, bottle feeding and babysitting. But those days are long gone any my nieces are becoming young girls.

About three years ago, they moved out of state and being away from them has only gotten harder as time has passed. I worry that I’m missing out on their lives; I worry that they’re going to grow up and forget about me.

I’m looking for ways to stay connected with the girls now that they are 400 miles away. I’m searching for inspirational stories to share with them and ways to send them positive messages as they grow and go through their tween and teen years. I want them to know that they are bright and beautiful and strong and that they can do anything they put their minds to.

I hope this blog will be a great way for me to work through my struggles and share my triumphs and ideas of connecting with the young ones in our lives who are far away. But I hope this may also be a resource for mommies, aunties and god mommies everywhere, whether the children they love live near or far, who are looking for ways to reach out and connect.

No comments:

Post a Comment